As you know this is the world where wireless-internet usage is being wide-spread and the device for using wireless internet has been consistently increasing! And the USB Dongle is becoming a necessary device to get anytime internet access!
What is a Dongle?
It’s just a small hardware device that can be connected to computers which use to allow access to the wireless internet and also for protecting certain software. Nowadays internet data card Dongles are coming in the form of a flash drive that is just plugged into the USB port of laptops or desktops. In general USB dongles are otherwise called as “USB modem” or “Data card”.
How to use Dongles?
The Dongle can be used by inserting the sim cards in its portal and plugging into the computer’s USB port. The dongle may get auto-installed and ask for the password. Once you finish the queries you will able to access your internet which also provides secure authorization of the software. In order to get great internet access one should choose a good mobile service provider that gives an optimum network signal for a hassle free access!
The dongle is basically used to provide the effective means of copy protection and helps in protecting the port from being used for another purpose! Later 3G dongle came into existence which serves as a portable device that attach USB port for the purpose of accessing 3G networks (WiMAX).
There are many varieties of data card dongle available for network operators. Anyhow I will give your general steps which will be more or less common for any kind of dongles.
How to set up internet data card dongle to your PC/Laptop:
- First step is to check whether your PC/Laptop is installed with some other USB data card software, if found do uninstall it, to avoid mismatch. Be sure to check whether you WiFi is turned OFF.
- Connect the USB data card to your system’s USB drive. The dongle will be like a plug-in device that gets automatically installed in its supported Operating System. (Don’t forget to check the compatibility of the Dongle while buying. It should match your device and it’s OS).
- Installation package menu will appear where you can select your destination volume and continue the process.
- Ensure your username and password to be authenticated and click “Install” button.
- Once you finish installation make sure your data enable is switched ON and select the Finder à Mobile networks.
- By choosing the Access Point option you will have to provide the information required such as Name, APN, Proxy, Port, Username, Password, and etc.
- On the figure below you will know the APN settings for various Internet service providers in India.
- Once you save it, you can find the internet signal on your PC/Laptop. This indicates that your internet access has been successfully enabled and you can start surfing!
Un-installation of the dongle software:
The un-installation process is very simple. But be sure that you have disconnected your internet connection. Then follow the simple step below:
- You can reach your application program menu and choose Finderà Applications à Uninstall XXX Dongle connection manager to un-install the dongle software.
However some mobile operators offer dongles that can be operated only with their network sim. It requires a big process to unlock it in order to switch on to another network provider. But, there are some universal internet data card dongles that can be used with any sim.
Here is a list of universal 3G internet data card dongles:
- Alcatel One Touch X220
- Huawei E303C HiLink
- Lava 730G
- Beetel MF190
I hope you will find this information useful! Please do drop your comments that will help me to improve my writing.
“Author Bio: Jessica Pretty is an accomplished freelance writer and blogger. By profession, she is a computer support executive in Chiji Computers dealing with technical service of laptops and computers.”